Christmas Salad, the mix of pumpkin, cranberries and dressing with the crunch of walnuts makes this salad a table favourite, 15 minutes to make yet taste like you have been cooking for hours
630g raw pumpkin, diced
Olive oil for drizzling
Pinch of pepper
100g barley grain
750ml or 3 cups of water or stock water
130g kale or leafy green of choice, roughly chopped
100g dried cranberries
50ml lemon juice
35g olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Spread the diced pumpkin onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and then bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the barley grains to a small saucepan with 3 cups of water (or stock water) and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 25-35 minutes or until the barley is cooked to your preference. You may need to add more water depending on preferred cooking time.
- Leave the barley and pumpkin to cool before assembling the salad.
- Prepare the salad dressing by adding all the ingredients to a small jar and shaking until well combined.
- Place all of the ingredients into a salad bowl.
- Toss through the salad dressing just before serving.